From:
Molly Belle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 19:44:29 -0800

Much of the argument for high protein diets points to the failure of many
low fat diets and the fact that they have not worked, especially in the U.S.
where the statistics say we're more overweight than ever.  My guess on this
is that this is due more to the fact that low fat doesn't necessarily mean
low calorie and people's perception that they can eat more of an item if it
says low fat winds up giving them more calories than they had before
dieting.  A whole box of low fat cookies is still going to have more
calories than an apple no matter how low fat they are.  Low fat also does
not mean healthy when it comes to commercially made products (example low
fat potato chips).  I think most of us on this list have come to realize
that whole, unprocessed foods are far better for us than most things a
manufacturer can develop in a lab.  I would really wonder about limiting
food choices for people who have already been nutrionally deprived, usually
for years.