From:
Sherry McBride <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:20:11 -0600

Hello!

Since my first summary I have received several more responses.  Thank
you to all of you for your help!

***

Hi Sherry:  I just read your summary.  Sorry I didn't see your first
post.  I buy "Westbrae Natural Imported Tamari Premium Soy Sauce Wheat
Free All Natural".  That's everything on the label.  I bought it at the
health food store but I think you could also get it at any natural foods
grocery store.  It's yummy maybe even better than regular soy sauce.
Good luck.

***

Regarding the comments in the summary (on the off chance you didn't
already know this) There are several "Tamari's" which can be clearly seen
as being NOT gluten free, as I have seen several that list wheat in the
ingredients.  The people's comments you summarized seemed to indicate
that if something says Tamari, it's OK.  (A popular misconception, I
fear).  No, it just means it's brewed a certain way.  Sorry, I have no
info on your specific brand question.

***

San-J also makes a good wheat-free soy sauce.

***

We use La Choy.  It is gluten free here in Utah and in all of our grocery
stores.

***

I didn't respond the first time, but we use San J tamari (soy sauce).
Just finished a bottle of the low salt variety and now have the regular
(store ran out of the low salt).  It's a great tasting soy sauce.  It was
rated as best soy sauce by Cook's Illustrated magazine.

***

I'm surprised that no one mentioned San-J wheat free regular and lite.
You have to be careful because they have other types that do contain
gluten - the labels look very similar.  However, I don't know if you can
get that brand in Canada.

***

I noticed in your summary that La Choy soy sauce was mentioned.
Everything I've read about it is that it is GF.  I called the
manufacturer about this and they confirmed that it is GF.  However, I
react to it.  The reaction matches exactly what happens anytime I
accidentally consume gluten.  Obviously, I can't say that it is not GF.
Nonetheless, I thought I might pass on my own experience.

***

I use VH soy sauce (I prefer the Light) and Superstore Brand soy sauce.
Both the labels read GF.  VH - I usually find in IGA and Superstore.

***

Did anyone suggest Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids?  For all intents
and purposes, it is "soy sauce", only lower in sodium, and not
fermented.  (Some people seem to have trouble with fermented
foods)

***

I just wanted to tell you that I called Kroger and they said their soy
sauce does NOT contain gluten. So I recently bought it. I used it twice
and I did not have a reaction. Why don't you call them and let me
know....the only thing on the label I question is the carmel color I'd
like to know what's in that. 1-800-632-6900.

***

Recently in a natural food store here in Atlanta I saw 2 bottles of
Tamari side by side, each from the same manufacturer.  One label read
"Tamari Sauce"; the other read "Wheat-Free Tamari Sauce."  So be careful.

***

Check your health food store for GF soy sauce.

***

Thanks again to all who replied!

Sherry
Winnipeg, Canada