From:
John Maines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:15:27 -0400

Good people- I am surprised to learn by the "bell method"- keep trying
until the bell rings- how many common medications contain lactose as a
filler.  Coumadin (anti coagulant) and lanoxin (digitalis preparation
for heart rate, rhythm and failure problems) are two that surfaced
around here the last few days.  My wife Phyllis has been more and more
uncomfortable with those two meds and kept telling me that they were
causing her to have celiac symptoms- quantity related.  One pill caused
trouble, one half did not.  Rather than offering her a homily on the
logical impossibility of her supposition (I have learned and now know
better) I checked the Physicians Desk Reference, a four inch thick
authoritative book called the PDR for short, and there it was: both of
her meds contain lactose as a filler!  To prove the pudding, she takes
lactaid 5 minutes before she takes her meds and has no trouble with the
full doses  all at once.  Judging from the numbers of times I have read
on this list over the past 5 years of people complaining of nagging
symptoms in spite of being faithfully gf, the drug problem may be more
common than any of us have realized meaning myself, a retired MD;  her
doctor, a young, bright and thoughtful  man; and her pharmacist.  As you
probably all know, lactase digests lactose.  It diminishes in all people
as we get older unless we continue to drink a lot of milk.  It is
greatly diminished in some young people, especially blacks.  And it is
diminished by definition in celiac people due to celiac damage to the
intestinal villi caused by gluten ( lactase is produced at the tips of
the intestinal villi).  Undigested lactose causes cramps, gas and
diarrhea- it is actually used as a laxative on the market- Take enough
of it and every one gets results.   If you are suspicious of any
medication causing problems for you, ask the druggist to check for
lactose as well as wheat.  These "inert" ingredients are listed usually
in the second paragraph in the yard long list of info that comes with
every prescription.  Usually the druggist removes and discards it but
will give it to you if you ask.

Jack Maines North Creek NY