From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:45:35 -0500

Thanks to many on the list, two of my grandchildren have been diagnosed
with CD and now I am trying to convince another adult child to consider
putting her 5 year old on a GF diet for 3 or 4 weeks to see if it will
help. I am asking those with children who have CD to help me, especially
those who are aware of children whose symptoms are not the classic
intestinal problems.  This is grandson #5's profile.

My grandson who is 5 had to have all his baby teeth capped at the age of
2 1/2 years.  He has had constant illness, mostly strep, earaches and
other upper respiratory infections and supposedly he has had scarlet
fever 10 times ( I doubt this diagnoses).

The doctor did a blood test that says that he is not celiac, but I don't
think that he was familiar with CD. His IGA was negative. My grandson
also is now having hypoglycemia, extreme anxiety and has  attention
deficit hyperactive disorder.  He often goes into aimless motion,
twirling and tumbling and running in circles, especially when he is
tired.  Now he is afraid to go to school and cries for hours in the
morning and falls asleep after school in the afternoon.  The school only
offers a full day program.  She has brought him to a psychologist to try
to discover why he is so fearful.  I experienced all of these problems
when I was  a child and also as an adult, until I received plenty of
vitamins and had a GF diet.

My request is for those  whose children suffered some of these
symptoms or those who have had children with CD that had negative blood
tests to write and I will pass along the information to her.  The doctor
making light of it really made her feel that I was overreacting, but
things have changed.  She is so sad for her child that  she is is now
asking for information, but I think it has to come from someone other
than me.  Carol in NJ

There was someone who sent me an E-mail of a doctor in Zurich
Switzerland who specialized in CD.  I lost that name and address after
the doctor gave a negative diagnosis.  If that person can resend it I
would be grateful