From:
Kevin & Pat Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:15:24 -0500

Hi,
I asked the following:
"Is there more gluten in whole wheat flour as compared to refined wheat
flour...if you know, what is the amount?  Is the gluten reduced in the
refining process?"

This is from the 8 that replied....thanks to all who responded.
Pat in NH
****************************
For the celiac patient, the difference betweeen whole wheat flour as
compared to refined wheat flour, really doesn't make a difference. Even
using wheat starch, the lowest amount of gluten (.5%) content can cause
harm to an overly sensitive immune system. Some people with celiac
disease may not get any symptoms if they consume a slice of wheat bread,
while others may get a serious reaction. Wheat will still continue to
flatten the so called, "villi" that causes the malabsorption in the
symstem. Eventually, if you eat enough wheat it will again cause
problems for you.
*********************************
"Whole wheat flour contains germ and bran.  Cup for cup, whole wheat
will have less of the gluten-forming proteins than plain flour from the
same wheat just because it contains these other parts of the kernel.
Whole wheat flour will make a heavier bread and is frequently blended
with a high-protein plain white flour for lighter loaves."   Source:
Cookwise  by Shirley O. Corriher
**********************************
wheat is a poison to celiacs any kind, any form!!  Barley malt, oats and rye
are the same.  So is maltase made out of barley malt and anything else made
out of it.  There is no such thing as a tollerable form of wheat to a
celiac.
***************************************
My experience is yes.  When I was first dxd I decided to try 1 piece of a
bread on Fridays, that way if it was too much of a problem at least it was
over the weekend and didn't interfere too much with work.  The first week I
tried the typical flimsy white bread.  It didn't do too much.  The next week
I tried the whole wheat.  It did twice the effects.  The next week I tried
rye.  It was terrible.  Enough so that I stopped the testing.
My conclusion was that the more elastic the bread, or the better for you, the
worse it is for us.
***************************************
wheat is wheat doesn't matter all poison
Refined/whole wheat flour has no signifigant difference in gluten, it's
the germ that's refined out (vitamins).  What you may be thinking of is
bread (most), all purpose, cake/pastry (least) flour.
This isn't the answer to your question, but descending gluten content order:
spelt, wheat, kamut, rye, oats, barley, buckwheat non-gluten grains:  rice,
corn amaranth, quinoa, millet, tapioca (however, some celiacs cannot tolerate
some of these non-gluten grains.

From ER4YT it is my understanding that whole wheat contains more lectins that
refined flour and there is some specualtion that excessive heat kills some of
the lectins but not enough to make a significant difference.   I suspect that
the gluten would be the same for whole grain and refined grain...because both
kinds bake up the same way.
The gluten is mainly in the storage part of the grain (the
"endosperm") so remains in even white flour with no
significant reduction in level from wholemeal.