From:
Don McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:17:15 -0800

I have been on a gf diet for about 6 weeks now, and also was gf for a
month last summer before being sent to a GI for endoscopy.  Both times,
after having suffered for years from constipation, my digestive system
loosened up at three weeks, but  I developed  what I believe to be
steatorrhea:  soft, pale, smelly stool that floats.  Pardon the
comparison, but the odor is like a very strong chicken broth.  I read
that steatorrhea  indicates malabsorption of fat, and wonder if this is
experienced by others when first going gf, and is part of the healing
process?  If so, how long can I expect this to last?  Also, I rarely had
these symptoms before being gf, and wouldn't malabsorption of fat also
have been a problem then?    Thanks for any input.  Nancy