Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 14:38:19 -0000

On 4 Dec 99, at 20:37, Dianne Kolb wrote:

> The doctors have decided that part of my problem is low blood sugar.

<snip>

> I was wandering if my bread that I am making could be making me sick. It
> has potato, rice, tapioca flour, yeast , carnation milk, eggs, sugar,
> xanthium gum. It is the best bread I have ever had and I hope this
> is not the problem. Any suggestions?

Dianne,

I'm hypoglycaemic, and have been into the why's and wherefore's of it
pretty thoroughly over the last twelve months. It is far more common,
especially in the US, than is commonly appreciated. Like CD, it's a
complex condition, about which the medical profession seems to know -
and sometimes care - little. It varies enormously from one individual to the
next. However, there are certain things which do apply across the board.

One of which is that *anything* with processed sugar in it - is a total,
without-exceptions no-no for the hypoglycaemic. That points to at least two
ingredients in your bread - i.e. sugar itself, and Carnation Milk. (Xanthum
Gum I know little about, including how to spell it :-)) And both potatoes and
rice *can* be a problem. Certainly any newly-diagnosed hypoglycaemic
should stay off both until they have begun to get a fuller insight into their
own particular situation. They are starches which convert very quickly in the
body into sugar, giving you the sudden boost which is - paradoxically - the
trigger in the sufferer for a hypoglycaemic attack. Not only that, but for
reasons which few, if any, seem to have much idea about, hypoglycaemia
often goes hand in hand with dairy\lactose problems. I can't take either
milk, eggs or cheese. So - if you are  hypoglycaemic - I'm sorry to tell you
this, but your beautiful bread sounds like it could be a real problem.

Jeff in Sussex UK