Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:30:50 EST
From:
Heather Cline <[log in to unmask]>

When I read the various postings, I often wonder what does "gluten free"
mean?  I realize it means something different to everyone, especially others
who do not have celiac sprue and are not as educated as we are as to what
gluten is and all of the various forms it can appear known as "hidden gluten".

A lot of times I call a company and ask if a particular product is gluten
free.  The representative will review the ingredients list and respond.
Sometimes I wonder if the representative is looking for the word "gluten" as
if it would be listed as an ingredient.  I also think about all of the
different ingredients that can be gluten, such as modified food starch,
natural flavorings; etc.  Then there is the issue of contamination which is
just as bad as actually having gluten in the product.  I wonder if companies
that have vinegar or vanilla in their "gluten free"products have verified
that the vinegar or vanilla source is truly gluten free.

I know friends and family frequently ask me "why would they put wheat in
that", referring to some particular product, as if it is obvious to figure
out.  I know it is not that simple and it is not that obvious.   I read this
list daily, read medical articles and research information online frequently.
There is still so much to know and so much yet to learn.  It is an ongoing
process.  I cannot expect others who are not inflicted with my disease to be
as knowledgeable as I am when I am constantly educating myself and learning
new things.

"Gluten free" is a conclusion.  To reach that conclusion, several things must
be ruled out, starting with whether any of the ingredients contain gluten.
Then, one must determine whether there is any contamination in the
manufacturing or packaging process.

I realize it is not as simple as calling up an anonymous representative and
asking "is this [product] is gluten free?  I always verify that the
representative is knowledgeable and ask many questions about production,
packaging and the possibility of contamination to assure myself of the
"gluten free" status of a particular product.

When one stops and thinks about what "gluten free" really means, it is
understandable why there is confusion over whether certain products are
gluten free or not.  It is also understandable why some celiacs are willing
to eat particular products while others are not.

For me, I will continue to research and ask questions to satisfy myself that
a particular product is "gluten free" and safe for me.  I appreciate all the
postings and sharing of information through this listserv.  It has been a
life saver for me.  It is reassuring to know that I am not alone and there
are other celiacs out there dealing with these same issues on a daily basis.

Heather
Oklahoma City, OK
USA