Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 13:42:09 -0500
From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>

I used White Rice Bread I bought at Fresh fields
- didn't dry it out, just cut it up in cubes and mixed it with
celery, onions, giblets and the juice from the giblets.

Was almost perfect. - even better the next day.
I made stuffing from combining a recipe in Bette Hagmans new bread cookbook
and adding elements I liked from the way I used to make dressing.  .  I
added mushrooms and turkey broth, for instance.  It was excellent - very
similar to wheat eater dressings.

I have also had very good luck with cornbread dressings in the past.
Dietary Specialties mix is good for the cornbread but now I make may own
from Hagman and Fenster recipes.

You may have better luck with one of your old recipes using bread made from
one of the sorghum recipes from that cookbook.
     I have had good results using Ener-g's white rice bread
for regular white bread in regular stuffing recipes. Just
dry it out first and it works almost exactly like regular
white bread. If you are using a combination bread and
cornbread stuffing, use the Ener-g white bread for the bread
and make your own cornbread (just take a regular cornbread
recipe and substitute GF flour mix for the white flour. You
can add 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum too if you want). Cornbread
converts really easily to GF.
Are you interested in southern cornbread dressing?  I think mine is
excellent, but it is probably not the traditional stuffing you use.

I make two large batches of good rich cornbread, not sweet.  Cube about
one/half loaf of my bread (sour dough rice flour and bean flour).  Chop 3 or
4 onions and several stalks of celery.

Crumble the cornbread and mix lightly with cubes of bread, onion and celery.
Season with lots of sage, ground pepper, salt, and poultry seasoning if
desired.  Add 8 or 9 eggs and warm broth - probably about a quart.  Mix
lightly.  My mother makes her own broth from a "big old fat hen" but I rely
on canned broth or broth from a cooked chicken.  Mother will add a stick of
butter if she thinks the hen wasn't fat enough.  I don't add the butter.

We don't stuff our turkeys.  We usually smoke the turkey but this year fried
a wild turkey shot by my 13 year-old nephew.  It was delicious.  Cajun
turkey fryers are a big thing around here right now.
boy can i relate to your stuffing dilemma!!!....my mpm trie one this yr
w/corn chips (tostitoes) celery, onions, chicken broth and seasonings and it
was GREAT!!! i'd love to hear of other ones that you get too!
This was the first holiday that I ate with my family (more than a baked
potato or mashed potatoes).  My mom said we could make a GF dinner and we
did!  It was great!  BUT--my mom doesn't have a "recipe" for her dressing,
but this is what she says she does :-)

1 loaf of GF bread (I use the Gluten Free Pantry Sandwich Bread mix)
2 cups broth (maybe a little more depending on if it looks dry or not)
2 medium apples
3 stalks of celery
1 medium onion
She also cut up the giblets really fine before putting them in.

I loved my mom's dressing before and really missed it.  This was 99.9% close
to her non-GF dressing.  The only thing I could tell different between the
two was that the non-GF dressing was a little more "gooey" from the bread
and the GF was more "solid".  I hope this helps and if you do try this I
hope you like it!
I did the same thing you did several years running with several different
bread recipes and was always frustrated until I found out the secret is to
=not= dry out the bread cubes first. Bake the bread the night before; let
it cool down overnight, and then cube it in the morning when you're ready
to stuff the bird. It may be slightly more moist than you're used to but it
doesn't come out gooey (at least not with my own bread recipe, which you
can find at:

  http://www.nowheat.com/grfx/nowheat/recipe/recipes.htm

To make the stuffing I use one recipe of the bread, one stick of
butter/margarine, two medium onions, chopped, all the useable bits of one
bunch of celery, chopped, and about 2 Tablespoons of rubbed (or ground)
sage. Melt the butter, add the chopped veggies and cook until they turn a
little translucent. Add the sage and stir; remove from heat. Add to the
cooled bread and toss. When cool enough to handle, stuff the bird.

I made my own bread, cut it in small cubes, seasoned them with salt,
pepper and garlic powder.  Sprayed oil on a cookie sheet and put crumbs
on and baked until nice and brown  turning occasionally.

In the meantime I sauteeed celery, onions and fresh garlic, we are garlic
lovers, in about 1/4 cube of butter.  When crumbs are nice and brown
put into bowl and add sage and poultry seasings mix well.

Than add celery,onions and fresh garlic toss.  than add some chicken
broth, about 3/4 can.  Don't make it too wet. Store in tubberware over
night, and its ready for your turkey or use right away.

Bake crumbs 350 until nice and brown. Watch closely.