From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:14:19 -0500

I sent a question to the list about the definitions of sucrose,
glucose, and the like. [That query is quoted at the bottom of this
letter.]

Steve Plogsted sent me the following response, and has said that I
may forward it to the LIST.  For those of you who, like me, did not
know the various differences in sugars, it is very clear and perhaps
you will find it helpful.

--- begin forwarded text
From: "Plogsted, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 06:01:44 -0400

Dextrose is another name for glucose.  This is the main sugar used in
manufacturing intravenous solutions and it is used primarily to provide the
source of carbohydrate our bodies need when it can't be taken by mouth.
These solutions are dervied from corn.  It is the same preparation that is
used in patients with insulin shock.  There are other sugars used medically
such as mannitol, which is used as a diuretic (a substance that causes the
body to excrete water), dextrans (which is used to expand the bodys blood
volume when blood products can not be used), and glycerol (used as a soucre
of fuel for the body in place of dextrose in a very specialized
circumstance).  The table sugar that one might use as a sweetener is sucrose
which is refined from sugar cane and sugar beets, or from molasses, maple
syrup and maple sugar, as well as from some fruits and vegetables. This is
not be used intravenously.

Steven Plogsted, Pharm.D.

Clinical Pharmacist
Nutrition Support Service