From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:08:47 -0500
On Mon, 22 Nov 1999 at 13:54:35 -0600, Dave Schroeder wrote:
>Ever since I purchased my HP-880 printer I've had this problem.
>Every time I turn the printer on, one page starts to print but
>before it does you have to press the resume button.  Then it
>prints a page with just a few characters on it...

Hi Dave

I had this problem with two HP printers for the longest time.
Perhaps the following will suggest some ways to attack your
problem.

I found that my problem was caused by the backup software I was
using for my tape drive. Backup software will often put a parallel
port driver in the \windows\system\iosubsys folder. Even if you
don't have a parallel port tape drive, the driver is there and it
causes these codes to be printed on the first page of print jobs.

The solution for me was simple. Since my tape drive was a SCSI
drive, I deleted the drivers for parallel tape drives. (Two
parallel port drivers were automatically installed with the
Seagate Backup Exec. program.) The names of these drivers were
very suggestive of parallel port...they had "PP" in their names.)

If you have other devices besides printers on your system or
network that could use a parallel port, drivers for these devices
might be the problem. Even if your hardware does not use the
parallel port, if parallel port versions of these devices exist,
you might have their parallel port device drivers residing in your
\windows\system\iosubsys folder. If you can find these drivers,
try disabling (renaming) them.

I know of two other things that are supposed to be able to cause
these unwanted print codes. Microsoft warns that using an AB
printer switch can cause this behavior. And Hewlett-Packard says
this behavior is possible if you are using the LPT.VXD file that
was installed by default with the original version of Windows 95.
(There is a newer version of this file tucked away somewhere on
that Win95 CDROM. You have to manually replace the one that was
installed with the newer version.) I have successfully used a
printer switch without a reoccurrence of these excess printer
codes. (Changing the LPT.VXD file did nothing to solve my problem
when it first started.)

Regards,
Bill

                     visit our download web page at: