From:
"Guido S. Piraino" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 10:55:45 -0500
Hi,

Windows Protection Errors can vary across o/s. The information below is
based on a Windows 95 system, as it is reported from Microsoft via their
registered TechNet Program. This may be helpful to you.

[-] You may have a Quantum Bigfoot hard disk that requires a BIOS upgrade to
work
properly with Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2 or 2.1.

[-]Early versions of the NEC Powermate 466 Plug and Play BIOS do not report
the
display type correctly.

[-] Windows initializing device IOS: Windows protection error. IOS failed
to Initialize, Please restart.This error can occur if the Mscmouse.com
driver by Mouse Systems is being loaded in the Autoexec.bat file, or if
Gui.exe is being loaded from the "load=" line in
the Win.ini file.

[-] Device IOS failed to initialize. Windows Protection Error. You must
reboot
your computer. (NOTE: This problem is very intermittent at 350 MHz, but
occurs more often at
higher speeds). The first error message is a result of a divide exception in
Ios.vxd; the second
is due to a similar error within Esdi_506.pdr or Scsiport.pdr.

The original released versions of the files listed in the "Resolution"
section of
this article contain initialization timing loops that do not execute
properly on
the AMD-K6-2 processor at speeds of 350 MHz and faster. Note that this
problem
is due to limitations of the software algorithms, and is not indicative of a
problem with the processor itself, which is functioning properly.

Guido Piraino