From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:05:27 -0700
At 01:54 PM 11/14/1999 , David Landau wrote:
>Could anyone suggest a way of quieting a noisy fan. The fan in the rear of my mini-tower
>case is beginning to make a steady drone, which gets louder and louder each day. If I
>give the case a smack, it quiets down, but then after a few seconds it starts again.

When a computer fan makes enough noise to be irritating it is usually
nearing the end of it's life.  If it is as you say, in the rear of the computer,
it is probably the fan in your powersupply.   This will entail not only opening
the computer case, but also removing and opening the powersupply.  Be
careful working inside of this unit, you can receive a rather rude electrical
shock.  Take the fan or the entire powersupply in with you to get the proper
replacement unit.

These fans can be purchased for under $10 at any local computer parts
store.  Some people will replace the powersupply to avoid opening
the unit, this will cost you from $25 to $45.

You should be aware that typically, what has begun this process is a build
up of dirt or dust on the fan blades, this happens to everyone.  When it
accumulates enough it sets the fan out of balance and wears the fan down.
When you bump the case the fan will suddenly find 'center' in it's spin up
and quiet down.  This is much like a clothes washer out of balance with
all the clothes on one side.  You move them around and then it can go
into spin cycle...   same principle.  When you bang the case, it allows the
fan to align long enough to find center and the noise goes away.  The
fan still has a major problem and you can extend it's life by cleaning it....
but typically it will not last long now that you hear the noise.

My recommendation is to replace the fan...  unless it is still covered under
warranty.

          Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                     visit our download web page at: