From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 12:15:40 -0500
>   While I'm not certain about USB modems, I'm not aware of any
> external serial modem that makes software and the CPU do part of its
> job.  That's why I recommend them.

     Sorry for nitpicking but there is at least one type of external modem
which does need the CPU. They were 14.4kbps modems using the infamous RPI,
the modem did everything except error correction and compression, that had
to be done by the host. Aside from that I don't believe there were any other
mainstream examples, although I am sure a few manufacturers introduced one
time modems. Currently though finding a hardware internal modem is becoming
more and more difficult, a shame. TTYL

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html