From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 21:03:45 -0500
> Hello:  I have had cable modem service for about one month.  Most of the
> time it is fast, however it does tend to bog down frequently.  DSL is now
> available in my area.  Can someone tell me the pro's and con's of DSL i
> comparison to Cable or direct me to  an internet site with such
> information.

        Well probably the biggest pro that goes for DSL is that the pipe to your
home is yours, no sharing bandwidth, no security concerns. With cable a
section of your neighbourhood shares the pipe, and the more people who join
the less bandwidth you have to yourself. This is most likely what you have
been experiencing, however inet bandwidth limitations and limitations on the
bandwidth of the pipe your ISP has with the rest of the world also can
occur.
        Of course there are cons. DSL tends to be newer and is more prone to bugs,
although cable isn't known for it's flawless operation. The bandwidth on DSL
is usually lower than cable, around 1Mbps to 4Mbps, and upstreams are
usually slower still, however since you are not sharing bandwidth this is
less of a concern. In the end, either technology is about equivalent, baring
price differences I tend to lean towards DSL. TTYL

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html