From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 07:55:43 -0500
At 3/8/00 11:30 AM -0500, Changhsu P. Liu wrote:

>I have done it writing at 2X (or 1X only). It's not recommended. I did it
>once in the evening when nobody was in the office. I would not try it in
>the day. One way to know if you can do it is to copy something  (50MB or
>something) from network to local drive and calculate the general transfer
>rate. If it's over 200K/sec, then you should be able to burn the data at
>1X. Assign as much cache to your program as possible.
>
>If you want to create a coaster, this is definitely 1 easy way to achieve
>that (especially if you try more than 2X).

The LAN where I work has such a variable user load that I find that even if
I do a "test" with the EZ CD Creator it will still burn coasters.  Watching
transfer rates over our LAN shows that it will be going great guns then
pause for 10 seconds with no data transfer because of heavy network
load.  We have LAN/WAN connection with about 9,000 users at any one
time.  So, just be aware that there are many variables in copying data over
a LAN. I don't try to burn CD's over our LAN any more.  Other LAN setups
may work fine.

Doug

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html