Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:27:56 -0400
Hi Mary!

>>I tried a new recipe and that is you take ground lamb and push it down
into very thin little pancakes and dry it. Would this pemmican keep, even
though the fat has not been rendered?? The fat has been dried like the meat
but not rendered.

What you describe sounds like JERKY, not pemmican!!!   Pemmican is dried
meat trimmed of visible fat, ground to a powder, mixed with fat, and allowed
to set up in cakes.

I have made ground meat Jerky as you describe--very flat meatball things.
They are delightful, particularly with herbs and/or spices added.  I keep
mine in the  fridge.  What I don't plan to eat within a week or two, I store
in the freezer.  How crisp you dry it will affect how long it keeps.  More
moisture means more potential for rapid spoilage, from what I know.

Because lamb, and esp. ground lamb, is higher in fat that a steak trimmed of
fat, I think it would spoil quickly if dried and left out.  I believe that
directions for drying meat for jerky suggest trimming all visible fat
because otherwise the fat may be oxidized during drying. The fat used to
make pemmican has been rendered, which drives off the moisture.  (This is
similar to the situation with ghee; ghee keeps at room tem. for a long time,
whereas butter does not.)  Also tallow is fat from a different part of the
animal's body (kidneys I think), which is different than the exterior fat
found in muscle meat.

>>>The Price study showed cats being cured on raw.  How long did it take for
the cats to improve?

Contact the Price Pottenger Foundation or get the book *Pottenger's Cats* or
the video (by the same name), which is very fascinating and has many modern
implications and applications.

All the best,

Rachel