NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katie Addison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 16:00:01 -0700
We can get frozen pizzas that work for my daughter, but lately we have all been
enjoying homemade pizza.
I found this recipe on the Veggies-Unite website.  I love the taste and texture
and I especially love that there is minimal time needed for the dough to rise.

Pizza Dough by Eric Blumhagen

1 1/2 c warm water
1 packet yeast
1 t salt
3 c white flour
2 T sugar
1 c cornmeal
1 c whole wheat flour

Soften the yeast in the water.  Add the salt and sugar.  Stir well.  Add whole
wheat flour and cornmeal plus 2 cups white flour (until dough isn't sticky).
Knead in the rest of the flour, add more if necessary to make a stiff dough.
Let rise 5 minutes to 1/2 hour (depending on how much time it takes to cut
toppings).  Cut dough in two, roll out to fit pans.  Sprinkle the pans with
cornmeal to keep dough from sticking.
Top and bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes.

--------------
We use a dairy-free pasta sauce and cover with chopped veggies.  My kids love
to make individual pizzas.  I pull off enough dough so that each one can roll
out (or pat into shape) a 6-inch crust.  When I do this with several children,
I put each one on a sheet of aluminum foil and write their name near the edge
of the foil with permanent marker.  My daughter enjoys chopped mushrooms and
chopped carrots (her idea - and I like it too).  She also enjoys olives but I
often forget to get them.  We usually add cheese to the other pizzas, but
Rebecca's pizza really is good without cheese.  I have not found a pepperoni
that I am confident is safe.  I can sometimes find a kosher salami and she
enjoys adding that.

We cook our pizzas on baking stones.  Since the stones are still fairly new, I
rub them with olive oil before rolling out the dough.  My daughter has a
separate stone so that I don't have to worry about stray pieces of cheese as
much.

Enjoy, Katie