NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynda Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 22:47:41 EST
In a message dated 2/21/99 9:47:19 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Does this mean your son can have bread made with soybean oil?  It never
>  occurred to me to challenge this separately.  I've just been avoiding
> anything
>  with the word soy in it.

Yes, he can--although when he was a toddler he would get severe abdominal pain
and vomiting from soy oil.  We found out that he could tolerate it once when a
bread I regularly bought changed the ingredients to include soy oil, and we
found out after-the-fact and by that time he had eaten it without problems.

The Food Allergy Network position is that soy lecithin and soy oil are safe
for most soy allergic people.  Supposedly the protein is totally removed from
soy oils and soy lecithins.  (Of course, unless the oil is cold pressed but
that is usually not the case with soy oils.)

Lynda