CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Freeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 22:34:24 -0600
Tresy,
I can scarcely believe your campaign to vilify the Serbs, victims of
clear NATO atrocities, on this venue.  In your defense against some very
well reasoned objections to your demonization campaign, you respond by
essentially conflating the situation in Bosnia with the situation in
Kosovo, which is really apples and oranges.  The situation in Bosnia,
while relatively reprehensible, was in the first place fomented by
agents of German and other interested Western imperialisms, just as was
the situation in Slovenia and Croatia which preceded it, and the
situation in Kosovo which followed it.  But more to the point, the
criminal bombing of Yugoslavia's civilian infrastructure was never in
any way laid at the door of Serbian behavior in Bosnia, even by the
perpetrators, only at grossly exaggerated Serb behavior in Kosovo, where
they were basically defending themselves against the terrrorism of a
narco-terrorist outfit called the KLA.  You have apparently no
historical background in this struggle, or you could not defend NATO's
aggression as you do.  I put it to you that you are posting your
tendentious arguments on the wrong venue.

Peace,
Ken Freeland

"Given that democratic countries have free and independent media,
President Clinton's visit to Kosovo on November 23, would be a golden
opportunity to take stock of the US-lead Western policies to bring peace
to the region. Here is a selection of questions with some media
advisory. In other words, if I imagine I had been granted an interview
as a journalist, this is what I would focus on," says TFF director Jan
Oberg.

(1) Mr. President, US warplanes bombed Yugoslavia and the Kosovo
province with you as the  Chief Commander of US forces. Does it worry
you that the whole campaign was justified and conducted on the basis of
what has turned out to be grossly mistaken or falsified information
about a genocide planned by Belgrade?

[During the campaign, President Clinton, Secretary Cohen, and Secretary
Albright are on record with figures of between 10.000 and 100.000
missing and probably killed in consequence of the alleged plan by
Milosevic, Operation Horseshoe. However, the Hague Tribunal has recently
revealed that, so far, 2.108 bodies have been identified - of more than
one ethnicity and dead from different causes; in short, not all
Albanians massacred by Serbs. From a human point, of course, this is a
great relief. But it raises serious issues as to of the information and
intelligence basis on which decisions with far-reaching consequences are
made. And it begs the question: what is world public opinion informed
about and what not, and who produces information for what purposes].

(2) What are your thoughts by the fact that NATO, with your country in
the lead, killed at least 2.000 innocent civilians in Serbia due to
stray missiles and bombs? You have apologised to the Chinese people for
bombing their embassy. Did you consider the possibility personally to
apologise to the relatives or, for instance, pay a compensation of some
kind? And how do you feel about the indictment of you, your Secretaries
and all other NATO leaders to the Hague War Crimes Tribunal?

[For the indictment of NATO leaders, see
http://www.transnational.org/features/Indictment_of_NATO.html. For the
indictment of Slobodan Milosevic for, among other things, being
responsible for the death of more than 300 people during the Kosovo war,
see http://www.transnational.org/features/indicted.html ]

(3) Mr. President, the American Camp Bondsteel here at which you
celebrate Thanksgiving Day with your soldiers, is said to be the largest
US military facility the US has built from the ground-up since Vietnam.
I have three questions about it: a) what long term strategic aims does
this huge investment serve, and b) how is it possible to build such a
facility on territory which, according to concurrent legal judgment -
and all UN resolutions - belongs to the sovereign, recognised state of
Yugoslavia whose integrity you are also obliged to respect? And c) are
you not sending a very strong signal that Kosovo's future status is
somehow already settled by fait accompli?

[Camp Bondsteel is described in a November 22 Christian Science Monitor
article - http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/1999/11/22/fp1s2-csm.shtml.
(Check archives, perhaps) It is gigantic: 775 acres, costs US $ 36.6
million, has every convenience and facility needed for its 6.300 US
soldiers, including two chapels and a mobile Burger King; the way it is
constructed is said to be indicative of a multi-year engagement and
wider-than-Kosovo aims].

(4) It is hardly wrong to say that the US was sympathetic to the plight
of the Albanians and cultivated the leaders of the Kosovo Liberation
Army, LDK/UCK, such as the present self-appointed prime minister of this
province, Mr. Hacim Thaci. Are you disappointed by the fact that these
allies of yours - I think we can call them that since KLA and NATO
helped each other -  are also responsible for an ethnic cleansing policy
that has driven 234.000 legitimate non-Albanian citizens out of the
province, according to UNHCR figures? If so, what do you do now during
your visit to put enough pressure on Hacim Thaci and his military and
civilian colleagues to ensure that you can say what you said about the
Albanian refugees in Macedonia and Kosovo: we are going to bring them
back to a safe environment.

(5) I have a follow-up to that with a somewhat different angle:
according to the UN mandate that KFOR, UNMIK, OSCE operate on, Kosovo's
citizens and their multi-ethnic composition should be protected.
However, the 234.000 have left under the very eyes of these missions
being present on the ground. I am sure that you, as the single most
responsible leader, regret this failure, given that this is the biggest
and most heavily armed peacekeeping mission ever - and the ultimate test
of NATO in that role. In which ways does America and its NATO and UN
allies intend to change the structure and function of the entire Kosovo
operation before it decays beyond repair?

(6) Mr. President, in every speech you have held also on this tour, you
emphasise human rights, general humanitarian concerns and freedom. Now,
there are almost 1 million refugees in Serbia - many more in fact than
there were Kosovo-Albanian refugees in Macedonia and Albania. They have
fled from Croatia, Bosnia and now Kosovo, driven away for exactly the
same reasons you stated repeatedly at the time about the Albanian
victims: "not because of anything they have done, but because of who
they are." Yugoslavia and Serbia is in deep crisis because of political
blunders and economic mismanagement, that is true, but also because of
NATO's destruction and many years of sanctions and exclusion from the
international community. A humanitarian catastrophe cannot be excluded
this winter. How do you reconcile your personal  commitment to humanism
and moral leadership with actively preventing that THESE human beings
are helped? Do you see any historical evidence that this is the way to
overthrow authoritarian leaders?

(7) In your own speeches before the bombing campaign, you emphasised
that a major goal apart from stopping a genocide was to create stability
in the Balkan region. I think quite a few diplomats and security experts
would agree that neither Albania, Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, nor
Bosnia and Croatia for that matter, are more secure now than before
March 24. Rather, less so. I think many would be grateful for your
guidance as to where and when the Balkan situation has improved in any
proportion to the political, moral, military and economic investment we
have made here?

(8) Do you intend to compensate, one way or another, Macedonia and
Albania for America's/NATO's use of their territory and facilities? I
mean in more substantial terms than "keeping the door open" for later -
much later - membership of NATO?

(9) You have stated time and again, Mr. President, that you are proud
that America intervened both in Bosnia and here. And it did so, for
sure, forcefully and with determination - so much so, it seems, that EU
countries are now starting a 'turbo-militarization' with aims such as
military-industrial and -political integration, common policies, EU-WEU
fusion - in short, big steps towards a European army. The reason? They
think they looked timid compared with America! They want to be able to
fix problems in their own backyard. Now, I think I am not offending
anyone by saying that the United States of America has antagonised the
Chinese and the Russians a bit - NATO expansion, the Ballistic Missile
Defence plans, the Test Ban policy, bombing of Yugoslavia, the failed
economic aid, the oil pipeline agreement you just signed in Istanbul,
Georgia's future NATO membership, the 'noise' about Chechenya... - well,
you know the list much better, of course. Do you also sometimes feel
that the US has taken the lead to such an extent that it has antagonised
its European friends and that this could backfire, that they are now
somehow turning away from the Atlantic dimension. Even Tony Blair's UK
seems to want Europe to become more and more of a super power and less
dependent on the US?

(10) Finally - and you have been extremely generous with your time - I
would like to ask you a question that has only indirect bearings on the
Balkans. Wherever you go you promote human rights, freedom and
democracy. I am sure that the right to privacy and freedom of speech is
absolutely essential central in your thinking. Therefore, I can't help
asking you: how come the US has developed technology that permits it to
listen and automatically register not only e-mail and fax traffic
worldwide but also - now - the human voice as we speak on phones with
each other. It is done by your National Security Agency, but - sorry if
you think this is a naive question - does the United States HAVE to feel
so insecure? I relate it also to the fact that US defence for the year
2000 will be more than three times greater than the combined military
spending of China, Russia, and the rogue states Iran, Iraq, Syria,
Libya, North Korea and Cuba?

[The tapping of communication was reported recently by the Independent -
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/Digital/Features/spies151199.shtml.
The military expenditure figures were reported by The Christian Science
Monitor (check archives, perhaps) at
http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/1999/11/04/fp1s1-csm.shtm ]

"Well, only carefully chosen people get the opportunity to ask the
President of the United States questions. But we can ask ourselves
questions and ponder the answers - such as: why on earth are questions
like these not asked by those who do get the chance? And why are they
not analysed and debated MUCH MORE in your local and in our global
media?

Philip Knightly has stated that war's first victim is truth. Peace
researcher Johan Galtung maintains that complex understanding is its
second victim. It seems to me that war's third victim is
self-criticism - and thus we prevent ourselves from learning about the
real motives behind wars as well as the alternatives to war," ends TFF's
director.

© TFF 1999

You are welcome to reprint, copy, archive, quote or re-post this item,
but please retain the source.