VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 12:41:28 -0600
Now there is a free, reliable way to learn about school closings without
having to worry that you missed the radio announcement.  More info is
below.

kelly

Chicago Sun Times

Net service announces snow days

   January 21, 2000

   BY MOLLY SULLIVAN SUBURBAN REPORTER

   The next time schools declare a snow day, they'll be able to spread
   the word faster.

   So far, several dozen suburban school districts have signed up for a
   new Internet service, Cancellations .com, that promises to make it
   easier to know when your child has the day off because of snow.

   Administrators in those districts have agreed to go online and alert
   the service when they call off school. Then, parents, as well as
   teachers, can go online to check. Or they can sign up to be notified
   by e-mail of a school snow day.

   The system is provided free by AccuWeather, the State College,
   Penn.-based weather forecasting company.

   After logging on to the company's Web site--www.cancellations
   .com--you enter your ZIP code, and a list of schools in the area pops
   up.

   Schools are given a password to use to ensure that only they can post
   information on the site, to help foil hackers and pranksters.

   AccuWeather officials said the system, which will be paid for through
   advertising, makes it easier for schools to spread the word about
   emergency closings and also lets parents find out whether their school
   is closed without having to call the school or listen to the
   often-lengthy lists of school closings broadcast on local radio and TV
   stations.

   Frankfort School District 63 Supt. Pamela Witt said she's looking
   forward to using the site. The Will County school district was trying
   to find ways to enhance its home-school connection, Witt said, "and
   this looked like a natural way. It's a way to relay information, and
   it's easier than calling. A lot of people still call the school."

   Jim Sibley, spokesman for Consolidated High School District 230 in
   Orland Park, said the system offers schools a quick tool when time is
   vital. "The more opportunities we can give people, the better off we
   are," Sibley said.

   "Oh, definitely I'd use it," said Donna Merlot, a working mother of
   three. Her daughter Nicole is a sophomore at Andrew High School in
   Tinley Park, which has signed up for the Internet snow-day service.
   "It would help because half the time we're not listening to the radio
   or TV. We're on the Internet anyway."

   Community Consolidated District 218 Supt. Jerry Petersen signed up for
   Cancellations.com. Like other school officials, though, he also plans
   to get the word out on any snow days by radio, which he said has been
   "very successful" in relaying information about emergency closings.

   Not that he expects to have to rely much on either radio or the
   Internet.

   "I rarely close school," Petersen said. "Our rule of thumb is if the
   buses can get through, we hold school."