From:
Jerry Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 14:17:18 -0500
Michael,
I have a Ricoh MediaMaster external MP-6200S CD-RW drive (SCSI).  I have
used this drive on two PCs and have never been able to make a CD-R disk at a
speed greater than 1x.  The ratings for this drive are 6x read and 2x write.
I have used both the Adaptec Easy CD Creater and Adaptec Direct CD software
that came with the drive.  Neither completes the write process without
trashing a disk at the 2x speed.  I have also tried two other software
packages without success as well.  There have been numerous postings on this
forum in the recent past from many users who bemoan the lack of reliability
of creating disks at faster speeds.  You may produce a disk that can be
successfully read on the CD-R drive, but not on anything else.  This just a
warning that you, like so many of the rest of us, may not get the
performance that you expect.  It takes about 75 minutes to produce one CD-R
disk at 1x, and you have to remove ALL programs from memory (check the
system tray) and not do anything else with the PC while writing.
Fortunately, I have three systems at my disposal so that I can use one for
writing while I continue working. :-(

Jerry Rasmussen
Rasmussen & Bucklin Associates
Coral Springs FL