Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 02:39:24 +1100
Are you saying that you didn't enable "large harddisk support" at the first
time?
I don't understand, how can you partition a 20G harddisk without enable
"large harddisk support"? The max size with 4 partition without "large
harddisk support" is 2x4=8G. If this is the case, you can re-partition the
harddisk to solve the problem.

First, you will need to remove all partitions. Reboot your computer, start
Fdisk with large disk support, make sure it reports the correct size of
whole drive (if not, you will need some work around). In order to create 4
partitions (for win98 using Fdisk), you will have to create 1 primary DOS
partition, and 1 extended DOS partition, then inside extended DOS partition,
create 3 logic drives. (remember format before use)

If the above doesn't work, check for hardware issue, you can let the dealer
to test the harddisk. If the harddisk is faulty, the dealer should replace
it for you.

**you can download low-level format software from seagate.** - for use only
in case without warranty.

Good luck.

Jun Qian

"Jose E. Dominguez" wrote:

> I'm having a problem with a Seagate Barracuda ATA 20 gig drive.
> Fdisked drive into 4 partitions. Formatted C and transferred system.
> Formatted D, tried to format E but was told it couldn't be formatted so
> I let it go, thought it had something to do with the RAM drive 98 boot
> disk loads and /or the two IDE CD-ROMs in the system. Copied the Cabs to
>
> C, ran setup. Installed 98, installed all the device drivers all
> appeared well. Went back to format the two partitions that were not
> formatted and they are not there. Ran fdisk and after allowing Large
> Disk Support I get the following error, "Error reading fixed disk."

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org