From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:58:20 -0800
--- [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Can anybody tell me what the minimum hardware
> requirements are for DVD
> playback on a PC, using a soft DVD player and
> installing the drive
> internally.

     While there isn't an exact line at which DVD
becomes feasible (both hardware, software and your own
eye determine this) usually around a PII 300 or
Celeron 333 are about minimum for software playback.
With that type of system you shouldn't get many, if
any, frames dropped, although framerate may not be
ideal (where the eyes part comes in). 32MB is a
practical bare minimum, while 64MB is better. Below
that I recommend an alternate solution, HW decoding.
In any case, this is bare minimum, you won't get the
quality of video that you would from a standalone DVD
player, for that even a PII500 may not be enough with
just software decoding. It all depends on what you
will "put up with". TTYL