From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:17:43 -0800
--- Mick Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> My questions are:
>
> 1. What type/make of network card will be best for
> this?

     Performance wise it doesn't really matter, I
guess your first decision would be whether to go
10Base or 100Base. At the moment 10Base is probably
still fast enough, although it may seem sluggish if
the network gets heavily used. For internet sharing
10Base would be more than enough. As for brand of
card, it doesn't matter much, I have tried both name
brand and not so name brand and they are all about
equivalent. Name brand tend to be a little faster and
easier to install, but all my home machines have $20
cards and they work fine.

> 2. What type of cabling is best?

     Well if you go 100Base, CAT5 cable is your only
choice. If you are in a very electrically noisy
environment with long runs I'd suggest sheilded, but
that is a rare case. For 10Base you practically have
two choices, 10BaseT or 10Base2. 10Base2 uses RG58
cable and BNC connectors, very easy to setup and no
hub is needed. However, if one goes down they all go
down. 10BaseT is the most popular, it does require a
hub, but is relatively cheap (about $10 a port) and is
does not knock out the whole network if one goes down
(although the hub going down would still knock down
the whole network).

> 3. Will it be possible for all the PC's to acces the
> internet via one ISDN
> connection?

     Yes, the PC connected to the ISDN line would need
some proxy server, wingate is good, as is sygate.
There are several choices here.

> 4. What will I need to do with W98 to get them all
> talking to each other?

     Not much, for a detailed guide check out the
NOSPIN homepage, I believe they have a tutorial there
on what you have to do. TTYL