From:
Mary-Belle Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 21:33:14 -0500
Jan Lambert wrote:

> In <[log in to unmask]>, on 03/03/00
>    at 03:31 PM, Mary-Belle Simmons <[log in to unmask]> said:
>
> >After spending an hour on the phone with tech support, I am
> >sending an email to this list.  I have an IBM, AMD K6-2 500mhz
> >with a Rockwell 56K data fax pci modem installed.  I connect at
> >31200 or slower every time. Tech support was able to offer no
> >advice after checking my settings and asking me about my phone
> >line connection.  Would anyone here have any suggestions to
> >improve the speed of my connection?  Thanks in advance. --
> >Mary-Belle Simmons
> >NC Giving Online Project Manager
> >CAPITAL DEVELOPMENT SERVICES
> >http://www.capdev.com
> >(919) 854-9775 ext. 811
> >(919) 854-9740 fax
>
> Mary-Belle:
>
> Your phone line is the prime determinate of how you will connect.
> There are also a few modem setup options which might be incorrect.
> Your ISP tech support should be able to give you a "proper"
> initialization string for the modem, althought it's probably the
> default (assuming you are running Windows 9x).

Actually, it was my ISP's tech support I was on the phone with.  They
didn't mention an initialization string though.

> Some things to look at:
>
> 1. Is your modem a V.90 or an older K56 version. You may not be
> compatible with you ISP's modems.

I don't really know.  It's a new computer, so I'm assuming it's new
technology.

> 2. Use your modem setup option to force he modem to connect at
> 28,800 and then call 3Com's (USR) free test line. You can get the
> current number from thier website.

I'd like to try this.  How do I force the modem to do anything?  And if
I do connect at 28,800, then how do I call the phone number if I'm
online?

> 3. Are you located within 1.5 miles of the central office? If no,
> you are not in a good place.

We don't have an office here, and I don't know where the switching
station is.  Thank you for your help.