From:
Sylvie De Roy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:49:44 -0500
Bob Wright wrote:

>Do not apologize for giving us all the details, it makes helping so much
>easier and other benefit from reading all the details.
>
>I noted that you did not list MSCDEX.EXE as existing on the "C" drive
>now.  Does it and is this only an omission?  You will need it there and
>you need to change the line in your AUTOEXEC.bat from:
>      D:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /M:15 /V
>  to:      C:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /M:15 /V
>
>As far as the HIMEM.SYS, locate the file on your Boot Floppy and copy
>it to the "C" drive.  C:\>copy a:\himem.sys c:\  [press enter]
>
>Then add this line as the first line in your Config.sys:
>      DEVICE=C:\himem.sys
>
>So, that your Config.sys reads:
>
>             DEVICE=C:\HIMEM.SYS
>             LASTDRIVE=Z
>             DEVICE=C:\ATACR\CR_ATAPI.SYS /D:MSCD000 /Q
>
>The lines that have been "remarked" out or have the statement
>REM at the front of them can be removed or left alone...  they are
>not being read by Windows at boot anyway, (that is what the REM
>statement does).
>
>You should be able to boot from the C drive now and the CD Rom
>drive should work.

I followed your instructions:

1. Edited   c:\autoexec.bat   to read   c:\mscdex.exe /d:mscd000 /M:15 /V

2. Copied successfully  himem.sys  from  A:  to  C: , Content of C: now
reads:
        ATACR            < DIR >
        AUTOEXEC        BAT
        AUTOEXEC        ATA
        COMMAND         COM
        CONFIG               SYS
        CONFIG                ATA
        MSCDEX              EXE
        HIMEM                  SYS

3. Edited  C:\config.sys   and added the line  DEVICE=C:\HIMEM.SYS

After applying these changes, I am still not able to boot from the C drive.

So I restarted the computer with the  Win98 Boot disk and selected the
option "START COMPUTER WITH CD-ROM SUPPORT".  I got the following lines:

        Device name        MSCD001
        No drives found
        The disgnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D
        Device driver not found:  'MSCD001'
        No valid CDROM device drivers selected
        Device driver not found:  'MSCD000'
        No valid CDROM device drivers selected
        A:\>

QUESTIONS:
a) Do I need to edit the boot disk in some way?

b) I have a Panasonic Matshita CDROM, model CR-574B.  With GOOGLE I searched
for MATSHITA and was directed to an interesting Web site
www.webdevelopersjournal.com/drivers/matshita/matshita.html
There I found new drivers for my CDROM model to work with Win98 (filename =
58x_9x.exe).  Now does this imply that I will have to reformat the HD and
start all over again if I want to try out these drivers?

Thanks for your assistance.

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html