From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 01:56:15 -0800
Roxanne Pierce:

> A friend of mine has her computer in a dusty, even dirty environment. She
> really needs to clean her CD-ROM drive on a regular basis, as she already
> does her floppy drive. What I don't know is what method is a good method
of
> cleaning the CD-ROM drive but won't harm the drive at all.

A common method for cleaning home component based
cd players (and may apply to cd-roms) involve:
   Residue free compressed air, not to exceed 40 psi
   and applied at a distance of 6-8 inches.

   It is also suggested to have the drive removed
   during this procedure.

   The lens should be manually wiped using a
   chamoise tip suave as used to service vcr heads.
   Q-tip may be used with extreme caution to
   avoid leaving lint.

   Small camel hair brushes are also effective for
   internal dusting but caution must be exercised.

   Avoid servicing the spin motor or applying lubricants.

   Cleaning CD's are available, but they primarily
   dust optics only.

-yui shin

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html