From:
Anthony Garvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 11:58:27 -0500
I would use a batch file to swap out the two configs depending on where I
was.  When at work and the machine is configured correctly for the work
network, copy the SYSTEM.DAT, SYSTEM.DA0, USER.DAT and USER.DA0 as well as
SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI to a folder called "\CONFIGS\WORK" (or whatever).
When at home, when the machine is configured for home, copy the same files
to a folder named "\CONFIGS\HOME".   Then write two simple batch files to
swap out the files to the Windows directory depending on where you are.
Boot to a DOS prompt, run the respective batch file, then reboot.  CAUTION:
If you use this technique then you must remember to always update the saved
configuration files whenever you make changes either at home or at work or
your changes will be overwritten.

Example: ATWORK.BAT
---------
attrib -r -h c:\configs\*.* /s
attrib -r -h c:\windows\system.da*
attrib -r -h c:\windows\user.da*
xcopy c:\configs\work\*.* c:\windows
--------------

> Our area is slated to get cable modem access this year (Yeah!!). I have
> already started planning to implement a home network with my two home PC's
> to share a cable connection  when I can get it. I would probably set the
> home network using NETBEUI.  I have read about and think I can handle
> setting up the home network.... but:
>
> I also use an IBM ThinkPad 600 (400 MZ, 96M RAM, Win 95b) with a PCMCIA
> Ethernet NIC in one slot and a PCMCIA dialup modem in the other. While I'm
> at work it is on the company LAN running TCPIP.  Now the problem.  What is
> the easiest way to connect the laptop to my home network each night and on
> weekends?  One way to do it would be to change all the installed NIC's
> network settings to home settings each night and back to work settings
each
> morning (a big pain!). Another may be (??) to buy another brand of PCMCIA
> NIC, set it up with my home network settings and leave the work NIC and
> settings alone (I don't know if this would work).  Then I would use my
> currently installed NIC at work, the new NIC at home, and  if I need to
use
> my dialup modem, change it for one of the NIC's.

> Does anyone swap a laptop regularly between two different LAN's, and if so
> what do you do?  Also any other options?  Will the two NIC option work?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org