From:
Tom McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 18:37:29 -0500
Michael Wosnick wrote:

> I am contemplating the purchase of one of 3 the following (IDE)  CD-R
> drives:
>
> HP 8200i (4x/4x/24x)
> Iomega ZipCD (4x/4x/24x)
> Ricoh MP7060a (6x/4x/24x)

<snip>

> Any folks out there have direct experiences (good or bad) with any of
> these drives and wish to share suggestions/advice?

I have recently installed a Ricoh MP7060a in my system and am very pleased.
I have a P233 w/64Mb and routinely burn at 6x while downloading over the
Internet.  At that speed I cannot do much else, but if I burn at 4x or 2x I
can do more.  I usually use EZCD4 but sometimes go with Nero, CDRWin, or
WinOnCD (which came with the burner.)  I usually just create a directory
structure on the HD and then burn it to the CD.  If I am copying a CD, I
usually create an ISO image on the HD with WinImage or EZCD then copy that
back to the burner.  I have not had very good luck burning from my CD reader
(Mitsumi FX3400S!B) directly to the CDR.

In researching the various CDRs, I found that the Ricoh was one of a
minority that supported overburning, which can be useful in the copying of
some CDs.

Some useful links I discovered are:

http://www.cdrom-prod.com/software.html
http://www.johny.sk/cdrinfo/