From:
Sol Lederman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 09:52:29 -0800
Arthur,

Good point Arthur; I've noticed as well that Amazon is
often not cheapest.

A nice thing about bookfinder.com is that it will find
new books as well as used and out of print books. It
searches twelve new booksellers, including Amazon and
Barnes and Noble.

"Neanderthin", for example, sells (new) for between
$16.25 and $23.95 online in the places bookfinder
found. (I ordered my copy from Amazon for $16.77).
Interestingly enough, bookfinder missed B&N which
carries the book too although they claim to search
B&N. So, I guess it's good to check your favorite
bookseller web-sites directly as well as doing the
bookfinder search. And, of course, shipping charges,
delivery times and sales tax (if the bookseller is in
your state) are variables to consider.

Another cheap new bookstore is alldirect.com. They
seem to be cheapest for lots of books. They carry
"Neanderthin" for $14.37. And (sigh) bookfinder didn't
find the book there either:( I once tried to buy a
book from bookfinder a week or so before Christmas and
they emailed me back telling me it would take two
weeks to process my order, and that wasn't including
shipping. So, I ordered the book from B&N instead and
it arrived in three days. If Amazon can't make money
discounting new books I wonder how alldirect survives.
Maybe their service is really poor. Buyer beware!

All in all Bookfinder.com is a very handy website even
considering that's it's far from perfect.

Sol