Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:32:20 -0400
Extra virgin olive oil is from the first pressing and can be done without
heat.  It is most nutritious.  My reading indicates that subsequent
pressings require the addition of heat or chemicals to get out the oil; this
can damage the fatty acids.  Extra light is, from what I know, refined--that
is why it is so light.  It does not contain the carotenoids found in the
olive oil from the first pressing.  Those things have flavor, color, and
nutritive value.

One can get used to x-v olive oil.  Yes it is stronger in flavor, but so are
a lot of flavor-ful natural foods.  I use x-v olive oil to make mayonnaise.
Not, it doesn't taste like the mayonnaise from the jar (which contains
sugar, refined, flavor-less oil, preservatives ad nauseum, etc.) But, my
husband and I think it--our mayonnaise--tastes fantastic whether we put it
on chicken breast, tuna, hard boiled eggs, or I make tartar sauce with it.
We saute with the olive oil, often cook our eggs in that (unless we use
unrefined coconut butter).

It is habit that makes many folks used to bland (refined) oils.....Your
taste buds will adjust.  In the meantime, your mind can over-ride them, if
you let it (or want it to).

My twenty cents worth..... :-)

Rachel