From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:31:38 -0800
>A few questions on adrenals:
>
>1. Are adrenals imbalnce connected to calcium imbalnce in the body
>(osteoporosis) ?

I have addison disease ( unfonctionning adrenal cortex) and most of the
peoples in this condition and suplemented with cortisol have a high risk of
osteoporosis. I do every thing that should prevent me to have osteoporosis
exercices, lot of greens ...) and yet i got diagnosed with it.
I don't know the mechanism of that correlation .
The adrenal cortex is secreting 2 main class of hormones :  glucocorticoid
who act on the balance of glucose) and mineral corticoids who play a major
role in balancing the minerals in the body.
Lack of adrenal cortex function lead to waisting sodium( and calcium might
be drawn from the bones to neutralise the high  level of circulating sodium
?)
I don't believe in calcium suplement myself and the doctors don't give it
lot of credance , ever to  be able to reverse the osteoporosis process.,  at
the best they might slow down the destruction but are certainly mostly use
by the body so it doesn't have to extract  it from the bones. But after a
short term benefit i suspect it further upset the mineral balance that is
hormonally monitored, so aggravating what cause the problem in the 1st place
>2. I read somewhere that putting fat around the middle of the body (hips,
>tights, lower abdomen) is the sight of weak adrenals. Any comments?

Womens specially in my addison support group complain about that ,so it is
not an uncommun  sign.

jean-claude