From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 00:52:08 -0800
>I subscribed but I still can't find the articles.  Actually, I just want to
>read the first one, because I'm not especially concerned about the second
>one.
there it is
jean-claude

High-Carbohydrate Diet Elevates Triglyceride Concentration
----

WESTPORT, Jan 18 (Reuters Health) - A high-carbohydrate diet elevates both
fasting and postprandial triglyceride concentrations, changes that are
associated with atherogenesis, according to researchers.

Dr. Gerald M. Reaven, of Stanford University School of Medicine in
California, and colleagues randomized eight healthy, nondiabetic volunteers
to a diet consisting of either 60% carbohydrate, 25% fat and 15% protein, or
40% carbohydrate, 45% fat and 15% protein, for 2 weeks. After a 2-week
washout period, the volunteers crossed over to the other diet.

Subjects had significantly higher fasting plasma triglyceride
concentrations, remnant lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations, and remnant
triglyceride concentrations when they were on the high-carbohydrate diet,
both after fasting and after breakfast and lunch, the researchers
determined.

The study participants also had significantly lower HDL cholesterol
concentrations when they were on the high-carbohydrate diet. There were no
changes in LDL cholesterol or plasma cholesterol concentrations.

"Given the atherogenic potential of these changes in lipoprotein metabolism,
it seems appropriate to question the wisdom of recommending that all
Americans should replace dietary fat with [carbohydrate]," Dr. Reaven's
group says in the January issue of The American Journal of Cardiology.

In the report, the authors point out that "...there is now substantial
evidence that efforts to lower LDL cholesterol do not depend on substitution
of [carbohydrate] for saturated fat, but are equally effective when the
saturated fat is replaced with monounsaturated and/or polyunsaturated fat."

Am J Cardiol 2000;85:45-48.