From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:34:08 -0800
 There are several types of Olive oil on the shelves around here -
>what's the type I should use? Currently I use just pure Olive oil, then I
>discovered virgin Olive oil. What's the difference?

pure olive oil is a refined product.( sometimes with some virgin in it so it
is not completly tasteless, this label just guarantee that the oil is not
mixed with other kinds of oils from an other plant) definitevely not paleo
first press virgin olive oil is extracted by grinding the whole olives ( pit
and flesh, harvested mostly green). on the edge of the paleo  food
definition because the pits are grinded too and represent a big percentage
of the oil, and the mill invented at the beginning of the neolitic
revolution require the discovery of the wheel .principle. before that if
ever they crushed olives they will have extracted the pit before .
the best olive oil that will taste very good is extracted from ripe olives
grinded slowly between 2 big rocks ( no heat involved,  traditional mill)
and the product will be more dense looking. ( not available in stores) but
from small producers and priced like good wine ( not so much)
the most paleo form will be eating the olives unprocessed.
jean-claude