NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bryan Tortolani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 09:23:24 -0800
> From: "Leanne Williams" <[log in to unmask]>

... My doctor was worthl;ess as it took me 4 years to get diagnosed with allergies to citrus, caffeine and an intolerance to milk.  I feel that more information should be
available on the subject, as my doctor told me it was all in the mind and to leave him alone.  It seems that there are too many doctors who don't take their patients' complaints seriously.
> This is a serious concern, as failure to correctly diagnose a problem can have long-term (and sometimes permanent) adverse effects.
>
> For example, when our daughter was an infant, she would get a rash over her body after almost every feeding.  The "doctors" that we
> consulted with came up with various explanations (hormones in the mother's milk, etc.) but the final recommendation was always the same: don't worry, do nothing, it will pass....
 (and won't even voice my opinion on the nurses at the hospital where she was born who ignored our EXPLICIT instructions not to give her ANY formula).... Maybe we should create a web site to share our experiences with various doctors...

Reply;
    Thanks Leanne for your input.  I share your frustration of doctors that refuse to listen to their patients and REFUSE to even consider food and diet to be the possible cause of physical symptoms.  My cancer was misdiagnosed for just under three years and instead I was treated as a hypochondriac.  In fact, at 19-years-old, I was still quite unsure of myself and possessed a great respect for doctors, which caused me to believe them.   I began to believe that I was responsible for my condition, leading me to avoid doctors and the humiliation I felt when subjecting myself to their harsh judgment and contemptuous manner.  I then resigned myself to a life of suffering and feelings of horrible guilt for causing myself and my family to suffer from my illness. It was not until I was no longer able to eat that I returned for medical assistance,  which finally brought me back to the doctor via the ER.  It was at that time that I was diagnosed as in the later stage of Hodgkin's disease, which if diagnosed early is entirely treatable.  Instead my prognosis was grim and my treatments lasted over 12 years, (off and on)..

Things have not changed for me regarding doctors' treatment of me and I agree that we should start a website for people who are unable to get help from their doctors and are being treated as though they are crazy.  I have so many horror stories about the bad treatment I have received over the years.  If we can help others with information about food allergies and intolerances while possibly preventing the psychological abuse and physical suffering associated with misdiagnosis due to arrogant doctors abusing their patients by placing the blame for their suffering on the patients themselves as well as the doctors tendency to ignore DIET as a possible medical condition.  There is nothing more disheartening than to be told that your pain is all in your mind, people need to at least receive some level of validation for their suffering.

I am unsure of the legality or how to go about creating a website however I am willing to lend whatever support I can to such a venture and if anyone knows how to proceed please let me know.
Thanks,
Bryan