NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:01:59 -0400
Keep in mind that fat is not necessarily a bad thing. We all need it in
some form, especially the young. Also keep in mind that the fat in is
formula is replacing a lot of milk fat. Kids on a dairy-rich diet are
getting a lot more fat, and a lot more saturated fat, than is present in
the formula. Also keep in mind that children can change a lot at that age -
one who is chunky one year can hit a fast-growth period where the girth is
replaced by height.

You really don't want to have him fail to thrive because he is getting too
little fat in his diet. That was a real problem in the late 80's and into
the 90's when parents were projecting their own anxiety over a fat-rich
diet onto their growing toddlers, depriving the little ones of the
nutrition that they needed to grow and develop.

If you're concerned about too much fat, perhaps you should get a
nutritionist to evaluate his diet to be certain that he is indeed consuming
too much fat (likely not). If he is, you can cut back in other areas (e.g.,
by using lower fat cooking methods). If he is not getting too much, you can
focus on maintaining his level of physical activity (less screen time) to
keep him fit.

Mark