NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kay Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:04:32 -0800
I am not a lawyer, but a parent of"special" children. My understanding of
the U.S. law is that if the school receives any funding at all from the
fed's... even if it is to subsidize lunches or any other reason, they
cannot discriminate in this way. Check with the local chapter of Orton's
Dyslexia or other parent's organization. They will have the correct, must
up-to-date info.

Good luck!

Kay Peterson

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Don Marcotte wrote:

> As a practising Catholic, I can empathize. The Church has it's bureaucracy,
> even though it has one of the flattest hierarchies anywhere. To get to my
> point -- I really wonder if the school has the right to refuse. Here in
> Toronto, that would be a quick discrimination case and the school board
> wouldn't dare refuse. Several recent test cases have gone against school
> boards in Ontario for kids with very serious disabilities. There may be one
> big difference though -- we have a publicly funded Catholic school system
>
> I presume you have approached the Principal. I always try the high road
> first, then get down and dirty (slight exaggeration <g>). I would use all
> the powers that be in your parish to bring pressure on the school principal
> if you don't have legal rights like we do here.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Don M
>
> As a At 08:19 AM 99/12/23 -0500, you wrote:
> >There has been so much talk about schools on this list, I just wanted to
> >share my new experience.  My son was wait listed for the Catholic school
> >pre-school program.

                          ÕÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ͸
                          ÔÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ;