NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:17:21 EST
A request for non-dairy cookies was made. Mine is unusual in that there is no
margarine or shortening (in other words, no hydrogenation). I recently
updated the recipe to make it easier to roll by increasing the flour by  1/4
cup. If you feel the cookie is too hard, use the lesser amount, but let the
dough sit in the refrigerator overnight (instead of just an hour) to really
firm up. Only remove as much as you are rolling at the moment, and keep the
rest cold. And, if you pass the recipe around, I'd appreciate it if you
passed the name of my pending cookbook with it. Thanks! Carrie

CUT OUT COOKIES
by Carrie Micko, from "No Meat, No Milk, No Problem!", still to be published

1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup dry natural sweetener (maple sugar, turbinado sugar, fructose,
Sucanat etc.)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

1 3/4 to 2 cups unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder

In a large bowl, thoroughly mix oil, sweetener, eggs, and flavorings. In a
separate bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Combine dry ingredients with
wet. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
    Heat oven to 400°F. On a lightly floured board, roll out dough 1/8-inch
thick. Cut into shapes and decorate as desired. Bake 6–8 minutes on greased
baking sheet till lightly browned.

Serving Suggestions: Serve as is, or frost for a special treat.

YIELD: 4 dozen (3-inch) cookies