NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 02:59:39 -0500
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, The Andersons wrote:

> for our grilled cheese sandwiches we use soya Kaas american cheddar style.
> it comes in single slices and after grilling the bread with the cheese in it
> tastes fine... not just like real cheese but a good sub... for our macaroni
> and cheese we tried today i ussed soy-sation cheddar style. This melted

I don't think any of the Soya Kaas cheeses are totally dairy free.  All
the ones I've seen contain milk protein.  For totally dairy free, there
is/was one called soymagge (or something similar), but it wasn't very
good.  Their mozzarella style was more like a big pencil eraser.

I've been on a milk-free diet for about 15 years and haven't found a good
cheese substitute (other than alternative milk sources...goat/sheep).

If I do get traces of dairy (as happens more often than I like due to
hidden dairy or more frequently cross-contamination), the result is
usually canker sores.  Butter in food gives me sores plus an almost
immediate stomach ache.  Frequent exposure (like before I went off dairy
or when I was back on it for several months because the college cafeteria
manager generally made up the answer to "what's non-dairy today?")
depresses my immune system (white count, platelets, etc.) and results in
frequent infections some of which the student health center was more or
less unable to diagnose or treat.  For a week, they thought I might have
leukemia.

I didn't start having noticable problems with milk until my mid teens.
It's gotten worse with age.

 Jon Lewis *[log in to unmask]*|  Spammers will be winnuked or
 System Administrator        |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Atlantic Net                |  to get the job done.
_________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________