NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 19:01:30 +0000
At 17:52 05/02/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone have information which would confirm or disprove whether lactase
>pills will break down sugars other than lactose? I suspect not but I'm not
>an expert in this area.
>
>I seem to have a sugar processing problem, particularly brown and maple
>sugars.

As far as I remember an enzyme  (lactase) is specific to the sugar,
protein, etc it is designed for so no lactase will only break down lactose.

Brown and Maple will contain  at least glucose

Also sorry about misleading info I gave abot A. Savill's book not being
available till March (that's the troible with Internet bookshops sometimes).

All the best.
Alan

      UK's only site for the Lactose Intolerant try....
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/park/gfm11/index.htm