CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stephen Cowley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 22:20:40 -0000
I don't go for this undue Russell-worship.  Russell was a member of a highly
elitist group ("the Apostles") at Cambridge University in England.  His
intellectuality entailed a marked disrespect for the "prejudices" of
ordinary mortals.  His models of the mind are based the narrow model of
mathematical reasoning.  His original contribution to philosophy - his
"theory of descriptions" - is now rated as mistaken.  Criticising Russell is
no "blasphemy".

Kind regards
Stephen