CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The philosophy, work & influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:44:27 -0800
7bit
From:
Dan Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
I do not take issue with the fact that there will always be a lively debate,
indeed a struggle,  about **how** harm is defined and **who** should be defining
it.  At the same time, it must be recognized that some people are quite
defenseless for a variety of reasons (feeblemindedness or immaturity, for
examples) against blandishments that others would make upon them.

Are you suggesting that multinational chemical conglomerates should be allowed
to make any imaginable pitch to them to consume their wares (as but one of many
examples that could be provided) and odious ideologies?  The "assholes"  to whom
you refer in your message can not always be drowned out (Corporate media, for
example, typically reject what they consider to be advocacy advertizing -- that
is, pro bono advertising-- while not defining all of the self interested global
conglomerate advertising as advocacy advertising.).  In addition, before the
more and better free speech drowns out the assholes (in your world, which I
think is a bit more utopian than the one in which I live), much harm can and
will be inflicted upon many defenseless and some naive people.  Sure, maybe you
and I might (?) be worldly-wise and sophisticated enough to get taken in
(usually?), but then again we're not the ones in that case who need the
protection from the predatory vultures.  That, however, does not mean that many
other innocents don't need such protection.

Sure, there will sometimes, maybe even often, be abuses in seeking to restrict
predatory speech, but I don't think that this justifies abandoning the effort
and allowing the devil to take the hindmost.

Would you apply the same logic to sweatshops, child labour, minimum wage laws,
human rights law, civil rights law, etc.?  That is, while many people will be
abused if we don't protect them from abuse, we shouldn't seek to protect them
from abuse because we will be able to eliminate the abuses by explaining to
people what is occurring so that people will no longer support the abusers?
Yeah, right.  Have you checked out the logos on runners/sneakers or athletic
shoes lately?  Dan