CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The philosophy, work & influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Wat Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 13:16:23 -0800
Tresy Kilbourne wrote:
>on 2/2/00 5:13 PM, Wat Tyler at [log in to unmask] wrote:
>. . .
>First, whether or not Roth said what you said he said is irrelevant to my
>point  . . .
>As for Roth's alleged comment, which you paraphrase rather than quote
>directly, the actual information that he was probably reflecting was, I
>believe, Defense Secretary Cohen's well-reported remark on Meet the Press
>that 100,000 male Kosovar Albanians were *unaccounted for*.  . . .
>. . . If you and your allies are so
>concerned about the truth, why don't *you* retract what is obviously a Big
>Lie?>demand NATO "correct" something it never said. If you and your allies
are so
>concerned about the truth, why don't *you* retract what is obviously a Big
>Lie?

> I even got labeled . . .
> . . .by the incomparable Tony "Brevity is the Soul of Wit" Abdo.
==========
Correct! I misquoted Senator Roth.
Secondly, Tony's posts are filtered out so I don't see them.

Senator Roth actually said "Moreover, no less than 10,000 Albanians were
executed by Milosevic's henchmen during the course of the NATO campaign. As
we learn daily from the grim excavations of body-filled wells and mass
graves, the actual figure is probably much, much higher. And then there
were the countless rapes of Albanian women, which for cultural reasons will
unfortunately never be fully reported -- all occurring during the course of
Operation ALLIED FORCE."
He also states that "It was in many ways a military campaign of
unprecedented success. Not a single NATO airman lost his or her life to
enemy fire in the course of over 35,000 sorties. Despite a few tragic
errors, the bombing campaign featured unmatched accuracy and precision."
This from
http://www.senate.gov/~roth/press/kosovofloorstmnt.html
see also
http://www.senate.gov/~roth/press/nato.html
for his remarks on the target and trajectory of NATO.
Really. One may begin to wonder.

With respect to Ramsey Clark and to Bertrand Russell, I find it much more
fruitful to deconstruct Senator Roth than to, say, criticize a lawyer for
taking unpopular defenses.
Please see Chomsky on deconstruction and postmodernism, if interested:
http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=280299388
and
http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=521739405

During the NATO bombardment I instituted a self-imposed "news" blackout by
averting my virgin eyes at supermarket checkout stands and so I never saw a
magazine front cover or a newspaper headline about Kosovo. I also blacked
out other sources of government disinformation -- no NPR or PBS. Within the
last two days I've asked someone at a Starbucks if they "knew anything
about Yugoslovia." The reply was "Yeah, I was born a Serb. I live here [in
the US] and don't care about that stuff. But yeah. What NATO did was wrong
. . . guess they had weapons to test."