From: "Trisha Cummings" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re:      TES
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:54:37 -0400

Hi Betty - Here we go again!! Please post for me.Well at least everyone will
understnad why sometimes nary a peep is heard from me!! GRIN

                                    Hugs Trisha

    Hi Barb,

        Thanks for the into!!

        I can tell you about our experience with TES and e-stim assissted
PT. It has been a major boon!!

        I started Amber out on e-stim assissted pt  when she was 3.5 -
roughly 9 years ago. E-stim assissted pt uses TES units while the child is
having PT. This was wonderful. It took years but Amber right hand once
completely useless became functional and her arm once curled up under her
chin - has been lower to her side. Adding the stim to the pt allows for
muscle retraining - now it takes a 1,000 repitetions before a muscle gets
the new pattern. An additional benefit to this has been - the electical
current which is like that your brain produces engenders both muscle and
bone growth - there by reversing the atrophing process.

    We added TES for about a year and Amber actaully did things
involuntarily with her right hand - even she noticed the difference. She
would say - Mommy - my arm feels stronger.

    We only did e-stim assissted pt on her leg - I couldn't afford enough
TES units at $1300 a pop to include her leg. The Pt portion did her leg
good - she is able to walk, run hop etc. Yes, her gait is different. She
doesn't wear an AFO any longer.

    About the insurnace end. I had to buy the units altho I know some people
have gotten them thru insurance. The e-stim assissted pt was paid for using
regular pt codes!! The only thing Mayatek wanted was to relieve me of a tidy
sum of money - which they did.

                Hope some of this helps
                         Brightest Blessings
                                Trisha