Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 10:53:02 -0700 (PDT)
To: [log in to unmask]
From: [log in to unmask] (Rebecca Lee Harper McCabe)
Subject: Re: interested in profession
Sender: [log in to unmask]

>I've subscribed to this list because I'm interested in the field of
>historic preservation and am currently researching graduate programs.
>I'm not an architect or historian -- just someone who's interested in
>keeping this beautiful old stuff around. Can anyone give me any advice
>about/insight into the profession? I'm especially interested in
>hearing from people who work in historic preservation who aren't
>designers, architects, etc.  I look forward to any and all comments.
>
>Katherine Cl

Katherine,

If you are a mature adult, you should have no problem.  I couldn't find a
job in historic preservation after graduate school.  I was 25 at the time
and I saw a lot of jobs go to mid-life career changers (former lawyers
becoming directors of hp groups, etc....)  Perhaps when I'm 40 I can get
back into HP.

I went to the University of Vermont.  They've been without a permanent
director for two or three years now.  (however, they are hiring a tenure
track professor. I've got the flyer at home if anyone wants to move to
freezing cold Vermont!)  It is less architecturally focused than most of the
other programs (it's housed within the history department).

Becky Lee
Cynical Gen-x Slacker

Maybe I'm mad at UVMs HP department because they used one of my photos on
their web page without acknowledging me.