Karl:
> I think that a well balanced body always has enough reserves for
> the actions that you describe. I suppose that a restful day before
> the exertion and eating only carbohydrate rich food, but no really
> sweet stuff, will have the best effects on ones condition.

Most wrold class athletes eat a lot of slow carbohydrates, but note that,
according to Barry Sears (author of "the Zone"), some excellent results in
the Olympics (swimming) were obtained with a ratio 3/4 (i.e. 3 grams of
protein for 4 grams of carbohydrates). And the carbohydrates should
preferably have a low glycemic index.

Jean-Louis

Date:         Fri, 3 Oct 1997 12:04:20 -0400
From:         Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Protein and honey

Karl:

> One must not forget that honey contains a lot of
> protein itself and that this will need some
> time until it is digested.

Are you sure that honey contains protein?
Anyway, it is mostly sugar. There are some proteins if you eat pollen (or
larvae) with it, of course.

> On the other hand: Honey (or dates)
> can produce an unfounded feeling of hunger after
> some hours

That's because when you eat a lot of carbohydrates, your blood sugar level
decreases well below normal a few hours after.

Jean-Louis