From: The Sprue-nik Press, Mar. 1995

Dr. Joseph Murray, of the University of Iowa, is a gastroenterologist
that specializes in treating Celiac disease.  He gave a talk entitled
"Celiacs in the 90s" at a conference hosted by the American Celiac
Society on June 10-11, 1994.  What follows are highlights of Dr.
Murray's talk.

[snip...]

Dr. Murray believes there are several "triggers" that can activate
Celiac disease in genetically susceptible people:

  *  A sudden change to a low fat diet, which usually means a sudden
     increase in starches, which usually means a dramatic increase in
     wheat-based products.

  *  A woman is susceptible during postpartum, when the immune system
     is adjusting to the changes after delivery.

  *  Surgery, particularly GI (gall bladder, etc.) can be a trigger.

  *  Certain viral infections.  Also, there is some suspicion that
     certain antibiotics can be triggers, though in these cases it
     could also be the infection that the antibiotics are fighting.