Yes. Biden won the election. No, some people don’t accept it.  AND… many in the Republican Party do.  You are lumping everything into one pile… them. Where is all the concern about othering and all the crap gestalt people were throwing around about totalizing and traumatizing other people?  The threat of Trump is making you crazy.  Trump may win the election and drag our country through a mile of total shit, but we are NOT going to lose the republic (I would say democracy, but of course that is not what we have). On the day he wanted the vice president to overthrow the election, Pence did not do it.  There have always been people who tried to corral Trump, and there will be again.  The ideal of the constitution and the nature of our country, with its history, will override all bad actors.  Eventually.

By the way, Charlie and others, we live in a post-secular age now (I don’t know what’s coming next).  So, some of the nascent ideas of the Enlightenment resulted in over reach (i.e. positivism).  But that’s another topic.

Phil

On Feb 12, 2024, at 10:38 AM, Dan Bloom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Phil:

It is us versus them.

“We” won the election and all the court cases verify this.  “They” won’t accept it.   For example.

Does anyone have a doubt about what will happen in the event he loses the next election?  He is already laying the foundation for another attack on democracy.    Just listen to him.   The new chair of the Republican Party is an infamous election denier.

Dan

On Feb 12, 2024, at 12:31 PM, Philip Brownell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Great. Peter, the new John Wayne.  See, Leanne, what I meant about civil war? See the us against them and the privileging of the us? And the demonizing of them? In fact, it’s a kind of religious self-righteousness that justifies throwing discourse to the wind and fighting. Marvelous.

On Feb 12, 2024, at 10:20 AM, Peter Philippson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Thank you Charlie.

I am not so sure about reason unfortunately.  Look at our process here.  Reason becomes an equalising process where the most crazy things are said as 'reasonable' arguments - Phil is great at that.  At some point, people must say 'No!  No argument, no reasoning like adults, just no!  You threaten me and the nation, and I don't need any reasonable argument to replace fighting you.'

Sometimes the fight just needs to happen if that is in the wings, because reason won't cut it.  Paradoxically, because the MAGA people are such cowards, the threat to actually fight has usually led to backing down.  That is one of the truths of January 6th: the insurgents had enough people and firepower to kill the people they were threatening to kill, and all the police, but they backed down in the face of police fighting back, then claiming that they were just day-trippers.  When I've intervened when street bullies were threatening people, they have always backed down when they saw that I was ready for real violence.

Best wishes,

Peter

On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 at 16:05, Charlie Bowman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dan, when you said "echo chamber" it reminded me of a portion of Al Gore's speech at the Davos economic summit:
"These algorithms that suck people down proverbial rabbit holes, they're more like the pitcher plants with slippery sides and at the bottom of the rabbit hole, that's where the echo chamber is. And people who dwell long enough in the echo chamber become vulnerable to a new kind of AI. Not artificial intelligence, but artificial insanity."

The comparison of Joe Biden to Donald Trump is ridiculous and only perpetuated by algorithmic news delivery. Biden, while a politician, is not a criminal. He's been convicted of nothing and the last time I checked, that was a requirement of democracy, not the result of spending time at the bottom of the rabbit hole.

Trump is a convicted criminal. The litmus test for me has always been, "would I want my children to follow in the footsteps of my leaders."  Barack and Michelle Obama have come the closest to that standard.

I hold no quarter for MAGA Republicans, and believe the last hope we have left is a political appeal to reason.  Reform must come now; reforms in both how we pollute our environment and how we receive information.  We must change in the direction of healing our planet, regardless of the nature of the fight we must undertake.

Charlie

"For green grass and clean rivers, children with bright eyes and good color, and people safe from being pushed around – for a few things like these, I find I am pretty ready to think away most other political, economic, and technological advantages."   - Paul Goodman, 1970

On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 3:35 PM Dan Bloom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Sure. MAGA people don’t wear red hats or walk in lock-step with their creator.  That’s a media creation of the left.  Congress is not in a deadlock on immigration and foreign aid because MAGA’s leader issued a command.  My mistake.  I guess I ought to stop reading stuff printed by my echo chamber.  LOL.

Values? I refer to the Enlightenment values of reason and discourse.  I refer to republicanism and democracy.  I refer to acceptance of the plurality of differences.  I refer to what Martin Luther King referred to as the arc of justice.

What is going on now is a tragedy — because it is destroying those values.   The values we hold in common.

 I ‘ve read plenty of SCOTUS opinions written by conservatives and appreciated them because of they made good law even though their conclusions clashed with my sense of how things out to be.  I and those justices who wrote those   decisions shared common values.

It is different now.  Now reminds me of pre-Civil War America.

The church?  The world can’t understand it? It is a political behemoth wearing a coat of many colors. it is not A church, but the name of  political power in the name of god.  The church used such political power for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years.  May I suggest the 30 Years War? The Counter Reformation?  May I suggest the battle between the church and the princes in the late Middle Ages?  And the conquest of Christian Europe by Islam?  These examples are just off the top of my head.

What’s to understand?   :)

Dan

--
Peter (Philippson)