Tom,
Do all of the pass transistors feel the same amount of warm?  Perhaps
one has failed.  Is there anyone of your acquaintance who would be
competent to help you troubleshoot?  I know that can be a
challenge.  is it feasible to replace all components except the
transformer?  And I remember recently reading on this list that
overall voltage regulation is better with a switching supply than a
linear.  No answers, just a few thoughts.
Eat too much for dinner tomorrow before deciding this weighty issue!